Monday, November 21, 2011

Elapsed Time

I just spent a wonderful week in Salt Lake City, Phoenix, and Albuquerque.  The #1 question was, "How do I help my students with elapsed time?"  Here are some suggestions.  I look forward to your comments on other ways to teach this difficult concept in a way that makes sense to students.
First, student should understand how to use number bonds to add time or to break minutes into hours and minutes.  This is stressing the concept that the hour is a unit.
From there, they can move to model drawing.  
The biggest challenge for students is deciding how to divide up the unit. It helps the kids to label the beginning and ending times.  Reading one piece at a time and plugging it into the model really helps!

 Remember, not all the models will look the same.  Some may divide it into 15 minute chunks and some will see the whole hour.  As long as its labeled and they can explain it, I take it!
This is a two-step, part-whole problem.  Reading one piece at a time is the key to success!

This problem is a little harder.  First, you'll need to discuss the answer statement with your students.  I decided to leave a place for "will" or "will not" in mine.  You'll notice my unit bar didn't end proportional.  Oops!  That's why we do math in pencil.

How do you teach elapsed time?  I'd love to hear your suggestions.

2 comments:

3rd Grade Bulldogs said...

I had my 3rd graders watch a video called "Elapsed Time" on school tube. This video (very entertaining btw) shows how to find elapsed time using a T-chart. My students picked it up right away.

Ricky M said...

Can you share the link to the video your kids watched? I'd love to see it!