Monday, September 3, 2012

Anchor Charts

Take an objective look at your room.  What percent of the space is taken up with each content area?  What is taken up with store-bought materials that just becomes wallpaper?  Does math have equal representation? Your walls should reflect your teaching style.  Our walls need to be dynamic and part of our instruction   I strongly believe in anchor charts.




This is an anchor chart used in my old school district

 I wish I could remember where I got this one!!

Anchor charts don't have to be cute.  As a matter of fact, I believe they should be made with your students and should be in the children's natural language.  You may continue to edit them as you continue instruction in that area or spiral back to it, increasing the depth and complexity.  They need to be referenced during instruction so they don't just become wall paper.  Studies show that students look towards these anchor charts, even though they are removed or covered during testing, as a memory trigger.

 This came from a classroom in Holland, MI



Thanks, Jana Hazekamp for sharing these!

You can see lots more on my pinterest anchor chart page.  Pinterest.com/Ricky_Mikelman

No comments: